Dientzenhofers - an important family of architects - had
an impact on the building development of the Prague
Loreto in the first half of the 18th century.
Christoph Dientzenhofer began the two-phase
reconstruction of the church and designed the western
facade of the entire complex, which was finished, after
his death in 1722, by his son Kilian Ignaz, with minor
alterations. (The latter is also the author of the
design of the terrace with balustrades in front of the
facade.) In 1735, Christoph’s stepson, J. G.
Aichbauer, finished the final reconstruction of the
church, financed (as was most of the interior
decoration) by Countess Maria Margarethe Waldstein, née
Czernin von Chudenice.
It was consecrated on
7 June 1737, but work on the interior continued until
the end of 1738. The principal
altar is decorated with an alleged replica of a
Renaissance painting of the Adoration (perhaps from the
circle of F. Lippi), with a wrought rocaille frame and
sculptures of SS Joseph, Joachim, God the Father and the
angels, by M. Schönherr (1701-1743). The two side
altars of St Felicissimus and St Marcia, with the large
reliquary display cases, are located in the chancel.
altars in the nave have superb Rococo paintings
of St Apollonia and St Agatha, by Anton Kern
(1709-1747), supplemented at the sides by equally
impressive sculptural pairs of cherubs by Richard
The original organ by the master L. Spiegel,
provided at the expense of Countess Eleonore Caroline
von Lobkowitz in 1718, was replaced between 1734-38 by a
new instrument by the masters F. Katzer and K. Weltzer
from Králíky. The frescoes of the Nativity of Our Lord
and the Adoration of the Magi are the work of J. A. Schöpfl
(1702-1772); they are inferior to the painting in the
third vaulting field above the chancel, with the scene
of the Presentation of Christ in the Temple, by W. L.